The X Men are a mutant faction found by Charles Xavier who saw the rise of Anti-Mutant sentiment increasing at an alarming level and thus created a safety haven at his Westchester mansion to train young mutants in using their powers for the benefit of human society. Charles named his team X Men with an "X" for the special X-Gene mutants possess that normal humans lack, the gene that gives mutants their abilities, also as something brought up by Moira MacTaggert who just came with the proposition as Charles initially wanted to name his future students, G-Men, "without a G" as they weren't working for the government by that time.
Members ( in order of joining):
- Jean Grey / Marvel Girl (1980)
- Scott Summers / Cyclops (1985)
- Pietro Maximoff / Quicksilver (possibly) (1985)
- Emma Frost ' Silverfox' (possibly) (1985)
- Sooraya Qadir / Dust (1985)
- Ruth Aldine / Blindfold (1985)
- Santo Vacaro / Rockslide (1985)
- Nicole St. Croix / M (1985)
- Claudette St. Croix / Penance (1985)
- Cessily Kincaid / Mercury (possibly 1985)
- Ray Crisp / Berzerker (1985)
- Calvin Rankin / Mimic (1985)
- Jonothon Starsmore / Chamber (1987)
- Ororo Monroe / Storm (1988)
- Noriko Ashida / Surge (1990)
- Josh Foley / Elixir (1993)
The New X Men:
- Peter Rasputin / Colossus (1997)
- Julian Keller / Hellion (1997)
- Sam Guthrie / Cannonball(1997)
- Alison Crestmere / Magma (1997)
- Katherine Pryde / Shadowcat (1998)
- Jubilation Lee / Jubilee (1998)
- Tessa Fox / Sage (1998)
- Roberto Da Costa / Sunspot (1998)
- Danielle Moonstar / Mirage (1998)
- Robert Drake / Iceman (1998)
- The Stepford Cuckoos ( 1998-1999)
- John Allerdyce / Pyro ( late 1999)
- Douglas Ramsey / Cypher (2000, left the following year)
- Wolverine (2000)
- Marie D'Ancanto / Rogue (2000)
- Kurt Wagner / Nightcrawler (2001) (joined for a short time during Project: Wideawake and Master Mold battle above Tokyo)
- Warren Worthington III / Angel (2002)
- Theresa Cassidy / Siryn (2003- ?) ?
- Artie Maddicks (2003- ?) ?
- Flea (2003- ?) ?
- Mondo (2003- ?) ?
- Jones (2003- ?) ?
- Leech (2003- ?) ?
- Lila Cheney / Dyson (2003 - ?) ?
It is unknown if the school managed to function without The Professor as a training facility as Storm was named the official leader and many mutants, including the young students, left the mansion hoping for a better life in human society.
It is also unknown what happened to the other students during The Battle at Alcatraz and why didn't they join despite Colossus, Iceman and Shadowcat being divided in certain mutant squads. It may be that their stay was only temporary.