A mutation is a change in the nucleotide sequence of the genome of an organism, in this case, of humans. Oftenly mutations result in cancer due to DNA damage although a certain mutation produced by the mutant X-Gene allows the organism to evolve in an extremely fast manner.
The mutant X-Gene was studied on Muir Island and further research divides mutants in 6 classes because of their impact on the environment:
- Class I ( Epsilon Mutation) - These are the "unfortunate" mutants as they pretty much have no chance of a regular life. They often possess minor superhuman abilities although their appearance is similar to that of other species in the animal kingdom.
Class I mutant examples: Artie Maddicks
- Class II ( Beta Mutation) - Almost similar in power level to Alpha mutants, the Beta has its flaws, very small although these flaws are "usually" oriented towards their abilities instead of appearance.
- Class III ( Gamma Mutation) - Unlike the Beta, a Gamma mutant has bigger flaws which makes his or her life very difficult. A great example would be Rogue as she can't touch someone without injuring him/her or even kill that person. Even if most Gamma mutants can pass as normal humans in appearance as their flaws are oriented towards their abilities as well, some Gamma have extreme deformities such as Nightcrawler, Azazel or Blob ( Blob's eating disorder may have been part of his mutation).
- Class IV ( Delta Mutation) - These are the most common types of mutants as they don't share any significant flaws though their abilities don't match a Beta or Gamma mutant. 70-80% of them pass as normal humans both at appearance and their apparent lack of superhuman abilities.
- Class V ( Alpha Mutation) - The Alpha mutants are the second most powerful type of mutants as they share extremely powerful mutant traits without any flaws. They are very rare compared to any other type.
Class V mutant examples: Arclight, Astrid Bloom, Avalanche, Banshee, Berzerker, Bishop, Cannonball, Colossus, Emma Frost / White Queen, Gambit, Hellion, Jubilee,Mondo, Psylocke, Pyro, Quicksilver, Sebastian Shaw, Shadowcat, Shinobi Shaw ( possibly), Siryn, The Stepford Cuckoos, Sunspot, Vanisher, Magneto, Warpath
- Class VI ( Omega Mutation) - These are the final and most powerful types of mutants. They have vast control over elements, matter and energy. They are sometimes confused with Alpha mutations or even Beta because of the lack of flaws or very small ones.